2 The Lane Tebworth
2 The Lane about 1920 [Z1306/26/7/1]
2 The Lane was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and, in parts, from the 18th. The western part is built of whitewashed brick and the older, eastern, part is timber-framed with brick nogging or infill. The western part has an old tile roof whilst the eastern part is thatched.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C15/118-119] found that it was divided into two tenements, both owned by F. A. Roper.
Roper himself occupied the western part of the building, including the younger section, and used it as a post office. The tenement comprised a living room, the shop, measuring 15 feet by 13 feet 6 inches and had three bedrooms upstairs. A weather-boarded and corrugated iron pigsty and a stable both stood outside. The valuer commented: "Very poor".
The eastern part was occupied by F Bird, whose rent was 2/6 per week. Accommodation comprised a living room and washhouse with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a weather-boarded and thatched barn. Roper and Bird both shared a common earth closet with the Queen's Head next door.
Directories for Bedfordshire were not published every year but every few years, from the mid 19th century until 1940. They reveal the following post masters/mistresses for Tebworth:
- 1931, 1936, 1940: George Shackleford (also grocer);
- 1928: Frederick Roper (also shopkeeper);
- 1903, 1906, 1910, 1914, 1920, 1924: Miss Jane Robins (also shopkeeper);
- 1894, 1898: John Smith (also bootmaker).
2 The Lane February 2013