Wesleyan Methodism in Humbershoe
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Albert Street January 2010
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Albert Street lay in the parish of Studham until 1866 when the new Bedfordshire civil parish of Humbershoe was formed for those properties north of Buckwood Road and west of Markyate High Street from the junction with Buckwood Road north. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has no records for the chapel.
The Hertfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER 12086] has the following on the chapel: "Work started on building the chapel in 1859. (A previous chapel by the River Ver, dating to 1808-1809, continued to be used as a Sunday School until 1879). In 1880 a new Sunday School building was opened adjacent to the Albert Street chapel. A new entrance off Wesley Street was added in 1967 along with an extension to the rear of the schoolroom. The Sunday School building became the church hall, and was recorded before being sold for residential development in 2005 to raise funds for the chapel itself ".
In 1897 the civil parish of Humbershoe was abolished, and combined with parts of the Bedfordshire parish of Houghton Regis, the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire portions of Caddington and the Hertfordshire parish of Flamstead, to form the new Hertfordshire civil parish of Markyate. The Wesleyan Methodists, together with the Primitive Methodists and United Methodists in 1932 combined to form today's Methodist Church of Great Britain.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School in Albert Street January 2010