Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > CottonEnd > The Three Horse Shoes Public House Cotton End

The Three Horse Shoes Public House Cotton End

The only references to this establishment held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service are in a series of deeds in the Whitbread archive [W]. In 1752 Samuel Coast of Cotton End, blacksmith (son and heir of Samuel Coast of Cotton End, dairyman) mortgaged a cottage in Cotton End known as the Three Horse Shoes in the occupation of Matthew Howkins immediately south of the “common green” for £30 to William Farrer of Haynes [W1042]. The mortgage was assigned to Ann Hensman, widow in 1754 [W1043].

In a smart move Coast later married Ann Hensman and in 1757 mortgaged the Three Horse Shoes to John Fowler of Oakley for £30 [W1048]. This mortgage was later assigned by AnnCoast, now a widow, and John Fowler to Jeremy Fish Palmer of Bedford in 1769 [W1050]. This was paid off in 1773.

The final deed in the series was a conveyance in 1781 from John Hensman of Cheshunt [Hertfordshire], carter and dealer and eldest son of AnnCoast to Samuel Whitbread for £36 [W1051-1052]. By this date the cottage was noted as formerly having been a public house “but since converted into two dwelling houses” occupied by William Cook and William Berwick.

References:

  • W1042: mortgage of the Three Horseshoes: 1752;
  • W1043: assignment of mortgage: 1754;
  • W1048: mortgage: 1757;
  • W1050: assignment of mortgage: 1769;
  • W1051-1052: conveyance of a cottage: 1781.

List of Licensees:

Note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1752-1769: Matthew Howkins.