Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Newsletters > Bedford and Cambridge Railway

Bedford and Cambridge Railway

Potton Station

Potton Station in about 1910 [ref.Z50/91/78]

Five years after Captain Peel's Railway opened it was absorbed by the eighth railway to be built in Bedfordshire - the Bedford & Cambridge Railway. Such a railway had been mooted as long ago as 1845 but its was not until 1858 that Charles Liddell of Liddell & Gordon surveyed a viable route. The building of the railway was contracted to Joseph Firbank and it opened on 4 Jul 1862 and was under the aegis of the London & North Western Railway Company. It had ten stations in Bedfordshire running from Bedford, St.Mary to Blunham (Willington station opened to passengers in 1903) to Sandy thence along the old Sandy & Potton Railway track to Potton and then on into Cambridgeshire with stations at Gamlingay, the Old North Road, Lord's Bridge and Cambridge. The railway was a victim of Beeching's cuts and closed on 1 Jan 1968.

Potton station was built from yellow gault brick with ornamental dressings in red and blue bricks and had slate roofs. The platform canopy was of five bays of iron and glass on the west side. Decorations included the letters BC. The main passenger building survives, relatively unaltered, as 48 Station Road, a private house.