Stockgrove Country Park
The lake at Stockgrove Park
Stockgrove Country Park was acquired by Bedfordshire County Council as a public amenity of 27.9 acres in 1971 from Cox, Long and Sannox Properties Limited. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has deeds going back to 1929 when the property was owned by Sir Ferdinand Michael Kroyer-Kielberg [CCE2694]. He sold the land privately in 1948 and, after changing hands again it ended up with Cox, Long and Sannox.
Two years later Bedfordshire County Council acquired a further 39.39 acres from a V.S.Stevens [CCE3247], though five acres in Bakers Wood was almost immediately sold to Leighton Buzzard Silica Sand Limited. Part of the park lies in Buckinghamshire and is administered by Buckinghamshire County Council. The main part is within Bedfordshire, including the lake and the visitror facilities. From 1st April 2009 the Bedfordshire area of the park was administered by the newly created unitary authority Central Bedfordshire Council.