7 Heath Green Heath and Reach
7 Heath Green June 2008
Number 7 Heath Green, Irons Cottage, was once part of a longer row called Irons Row. When Heath and Reach was inclosed in 1841 the row was owned by, unsurprisingly, James Irons. The row stood on 2 roods 17 poles of land. The property was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. The structure dates from the 17th or 18th century, the right hand side is built on a timber-frame with red brick nogging, the other side of red and grey brick. The roof is composed of old clay tiles.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Irons Row [DV1/C205/29-34] noted that it was owned by George Dollin, the baker next door at 6 Heath Green.
5-7 Heath Green on the 1927 valuation map
The row comprised six separate cottages. Those still in existence were as occupied as follows (south-east to north-west):
- Charles Chandler, at a rent of four shillings per week; accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a barn and a shared earth closet
- Mrs.Brantom, at a rent £6/8/2 per annum; accommodation was a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above and, presumably, a share of the earth closet;
- George King at a rent of 3/2 per week; his accommodation was the same as the other two.
It is odd, given that these three cottages have survived, whilst those further south-east have not, that the valuer wrote: "Note: the following three have been condemned & Dollin intends to pull them down & extend his bakery"
The three cottages which extended the row south-east were (again south-east to north-west):
- William Baines, at a rent of 3/2 per week rent; accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above; amazingly, given the small nature of the cottage the valuer wrote: "Note: 2 houses converted to one", no doubt each of the luckless former inhabitants had just one room up and down each;
- Miss S.Corner, a living room and scullery with two bedrooms above;
- Albert Baines, with accomodation as that for Miss Corner. All three cottages shared a barn and earth closet.