The Village of Wardhedges in General
Wardhedges October 2010
Wardhedges stands around 250 feet above sea-level. The solid, or underlying, geology is a type of greensand classed as Woburn Sands Formation. This sandstone was laid down between 99 and 121 million years ago in warm shallow seas during the Cretaceous Period.
Wardhedges sign October 2010
The name Wardhedges may mean "protecting hedges" as to ward is to protect. The name first appears in 1276 as Wardegges and Wardhegges. The name may refer to some early manorial preserve for stocking game. An alternative explanation is that it may be associated with Warden Hill, a little way to the south and now in the parish of Pulloxhill and thus mean more of a strategic position.
Wardhedges in 1881
Wardhedges has always formed part of the ancient parish of Flitton. It lies between the villages of Flitton and Silsoe.