The Barley Mow Public House
The former Barley Mow in July 2007
Barley Mow Public House (previously Sow and Pigs): Thorncote Road, Hatch (northeast corner of the village crossroads)
This public house was owned by Simpson's of Baldock and, consequently, the deeds are held at Hertfordshire Record Office. The only records held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service are directories and licensing records and a valuation carried out in 1927 under the 1925 Rating Valuation Act. The surveyor reported that the public house was built of brick and slate and included a "rather small" tap room, kitchen, pantry and scullery, cellar and, upstairs, three bedrooms. Outside was an earth closet and water was laid on to the house. Trade consisted of a barrel of mild per week along with four dozen bottles and a quarter of a gallon of spirits as to takings, the tenant "cannot say". The valuer noted: "House in good repair. Good pull up. Rear council cottages".
- CRT110/102: List of Simpson’s of Baldock’s documents deposited at Hertfordshire Record Office.
- DV1/C/43: survey under 1925 Rating Valuation Act: 1927
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1822-1847: Stephen Weyman
1871-1914: George Truin
1920-1940: John Truin;
1966: Mabel Alice Irwin
Public House closed 1966