The Village Barn Heath and Reach
The Village Barn June 2008
The Village Barn has been an amenity in the village for some years. It was originally part of Town Farm, now 13 and 15 Leighton Road. In 1937 it was owned by Fanny Hickman, a widow who lived at Rushings on Gig Lane. In that year she conveyed it to a group comprising herself, the vicar, Leonard Jocelyn Lightbody and local farmer John Mossman Britten of Overend Green. This group were to act as trustees to apply to the Charity Commissioners for an Order, after which time a Management Committee would take over as trustees [PCHeath&Reach6/1].
The premises was "to be held for the recreation of the residents of the parish" and the management committee was to comprise Fanny Hickman and not more than fifteen others of whom seven should be elected at the Annual General Meeting, the remainder serving as representatives of the following organisations: the Parish Council; the Parochial Church Council; the Deacons of the Baptist Chapel and the Trustees of the Methodist Chapel. All Committee members except Fanny were to retire annually and seek re-election. The Charity Commissioners Order establishing the management committee was dated 20th May 1938 [PCHeath&Reach6/2].
The Village Barn from the rear June 2008