Home Farm Heath and Reach
Home Farm June 2008
Home Farm, on Brickhill Road, was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It is probably a 19th century building, though it may be earlier. It is built of red brick and has a thatched roof. The house comprises two storeys and attics. A lower wing lies to the rear.
When Heath and Reach was inclosed in 1841 Home farm was described as a house and homestead standing in 2 roods 32 poles of land. It was part of the land of Lord Leigh, Tenant of the Manor of Leighton Buzzard alias Grovebury under the Dean and Canons of Saint George's Chapel, Windsor and no specific land was allotted to it.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Home Farm [DV1/C233/35] noted that it was owned by H.Marshall and occupied by H.Pratt, who paid fourteen shillings a week rent. The house stood in 0.039 of an acre and had no farm land with it.
Accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery, with three bedrooms and a box room upstairs. Outside was another 0.024 of an acre with a weather-boarded and thatched barn ("good size used for pigs") and a wood and corrugated iron open cart shed. The valuer commented: "Tenant said he would try to get rent reduced in September". The valuer considered the place "old fashioned". A further 1.688 acres of garden ground were rented with the house.
Home Farmhouse June 2008