Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > HeathandReach > Heath Green Clock Tower and Pump Heath and Reach

Heath Green Clock Tower and Pump Heath and Reach

Heath Green clocktower and pumphouse June 2008
Heath Green clocktower and pumphouse June 2008

The pump and clock tower on Heath Green were listed by the former Department of Environment in 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The structure is certainly the one thing someone may remember from a drive through the village.

 Heath Green about 1900
Heath Green about 1900 [Z1130/57]

It was built in 1873 and had iron pumping machinery inside the shed part from which the clock tower rises. It is owned and maintained by Heath and Reach Parish Council. Plaques on either side of the door note that the pump was presented by W. Brantom and that the structure was built in memory of William Abraham.

pumping gear inside Heath Green pumphouse and clock tower June 2008
Pumping gear inside Heath Green pumphouse and clock tower June 2008