Emu Farm Heath and Reach
Emu Farm shown on 1927 valuation map numbered 106 and 107
A modern road leading from Linslade Road in Heath and Reach has the unusual name of Emu Close. The name comes from a smallholding called Emu Farm which stood where the junction of Emu Close with Old Linslade Road now lies. The land was not included in the inclosure of Heath and Reach of 1841 and it is not possible to say where this strange name comes from. It first occurs in directories in 1910.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Emu Farm [DV1/C205/106-107] noted that it was owned and occupied by A.Marshall.
The farmhouse, which had a double front, was built of brick and slate and contained three reception rooms ("small") and a kitchen downstairs, with three bedrooms and a bathroom above. The valuer considered it "very lettable". Outside stood a brick and tile garage with a cement floor, a brick and tile chicken food store with store a loft over, a large brick and tile store, a wood and slate store ("moderate") and three grass fields used for poultry totalling 2.072 acres.
The site of Emu Farm October 2008