8 and 10 Brickhill Road Heath and Reach
10 Brickhill Road December 2008
8 and 10 Brickhill Road stand just back from the junction of Brickhill Road and Woburn Road in an area known as Fox Corner. Both were listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. Both are 17th century, Number 8 has a ground floor of red brick with a timber-framed first floor whilst Number 10 is built of whitewashed brick. Both houses are two storeys and have a clay tile roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting Fox Corner found that 8 Brickhill Road (the one nearest the road), then known as 1 Fox Corner [DV1/C233/25], was owned by someone named Tibbett and occupied by A. Stone. It stood in a quarter of an acre and the rent was 4/10 per week. The house comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a brick and tile lean-to barn. The valuer commented: "Green shutters".
Fox Corner in 1901
10 Brickhill Road, 2 Fox Corner [DV1/C233/26], was owned and occupied by J. Webb. It stood in 0.138 of an acre and also contained a living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms upstairs; a barn stood outside. The colour of the shutters was not noted.