6 Heath Green Heath and Reach
6 Heath Green June 2008
Numbers 5 and 6 Heath Green were listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. Both are constructed of colour-washed brick and have Welsh slate roofs; they were dated as 18th century.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property [DV1/C205/35] noted that it was owned and occupied by George Dollin, who was a baker. Kelly's Directory for 1924 lists Dollin as a baker but that is the only reference to him in directories. Kelly's for 1910, 1914 and 1920 list Richard Kirby as a baker in the village. Given that the shop next door was owned by Sarah Ann Kirby in 1924 and Gertrude Kirby in 1927 it seems a worthwhile guess that Richard Kirby may have owned Number 6 Heath Green before George Dollin.
5-7 Heath Green on the 1927 valuation map
The valuer noted that the shop measured 10 feet by 9 feet and, with a living room, kitchen and scullery completed the ground floor accommodation. Three bedrooms lay upstairs. A loose box, an open cart shed with a loft over and an earth closet lay outside. The valuer commented: "Old place. Bakehouse in cellar under shop 14 feet by 12 feet. Oven holds 80 quart loaves".