3 Heath Green Heath and Reach
3 Heath Green June 2008
Number 3 Heath Green was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 17th century and the exterior is whitewashed pebble-dash. It has two storeys with a slate roof. The Department noted that at that time it had an intact timber-framed interior. When Heath and Reach was inclosed in 1841 the cottage was owned by the "w of" John Culverhouse. This presumably means either his wife or, more likely, his widow. The property stood in just four poles of land.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property [DV1/C205/68] noted that the owner was Alfred John Hines (the postmaster who lived next door at Number 4) and the occupier A. Turney. The rent, of four shillings per week, was regarded by the valuer as "absurd".
The cottage was a simple 'two up two down'. It comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. No outbuildings were noted but the occupier must have had access to a privy somewhere!