1 Lanes End Heath and Reach
1 Lanes End from the west June 2008
Number 1 Lanes End, Linden Cottage, was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980. It dates from the 17th century and is built of colour-washed brick and plaster, it has two storeys and a thatched roof.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting this property [DV1/C205/40] noted that it was owned and occupied by Mrs.Hopkins and was then called "The Cottage".
Accommodation comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms and a boxroom above. A wood and corrugated iron shed ("good") stood outside. The valuer remarked: "Good. Yellow. Double front. attractive".