Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Old Warden > Main Lodge Old Warden

Main Lodge Old Warden

Main Lodge in High Street about 1900
Main Lodge in High Street about 1900 [Z50/129/99]

In 1872 Old Warden Park was sold by Robert, 3rd Baron Ongley by private contract to Joseph Shuttleworth. The sale catalogue of the time [X65/61] noted that a lodge inthe same location as today's main lodge, described as "Rustic Cottage or Lodge and Garden", was in occupation of John Green at 2 guineas per annum. This building was probably pulled down to make way for the current structure.

The Main Lodge was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. It was built in 1874, two years after the Estate was purchased from the 3rd Baron Ongley by Joseph Shuttleworth, to the designs of the architect of the main house, Henry Clutton. It is built of yellow brick with stone dressings and has a tiled roof. It has a two room plan of one storey with attics and is in the Jacobean style.

Main Lodge in March 2008
Main Lodge in March 2008

In 1927 the dwellings of Old Warden were valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting the Main Lodge  [DV1/R47/30] found it occupied by a man named Pearse and comprising two bedrooms, a living room and kitchen, rent was £1/14/0 per annum; it was a: "Very pretty little place" but water had to be fetched from the pump at Parsonage Piece.