Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Old Warden > Claypits Farmhouse Old Warden

Claypits Farmhouse Old Warden

 Claypits Farm March 2008
Claypits Farm March 2008

Claypits Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1972 as Grade II, of special interest. It was originally a single farmhouse, now divided into two properties. It was built in the 17th and 19th centuries and has pebbledash render over a timber frame "some of which is fairly substantial"; it has a clay tile roof. The property is in an H-plan with a central block of two storeys and cross-wings of two storeys and attics.

Directories reveal the following tenants of the farm:

  • 1847: Mary Taylor;
  • 1862: Norman Taylor;
  • 1940: Arthur Thomas Cooper

    In 1927 the dwellings of Old Warden were valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Claypits Farm found it owned by Bedfordshire County Council [DV1/C34/27-34], the authority had bought it from the Whitbread Estate in 1911. The various buildings were in different occupations, the numbers on the plan below corresponding to pages in the notebook.

     Claypits Farm on valuation map of 1927
    Claypits Farm on valuation map of 1927

    27. Occupied by William Webb and standing in 0.85 of an acre; brick and tile house and premises "end one of 3"; comprising parlour, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms and two attics above and an earth closet outside. "Water from well. Fair cottage long way from Road. ½ mile to Southill Station. V.poor position". Rent £6/10/0 per annum.

    28. Vacant and standing in 0.85 of an acre; brick and tile house "middle of 3", comprising a parlour, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above and an earth closet outside; "Water from well". Rent £6/10/0 per annum.

    29. Occupied by William Williamson and standing in 0.85 of an acre; brick and tile house "end one of 3", comprising a parlour, kitchen and scullery with one bedroom above and an attic above that. Rent £6/10/0 per annum.

    30. Occupied by A.G.Webb. East Block comprising a wood and tile henhouse, loose box and stable for six horses with a granary over. South Block comprising one third of a stable, chaff house, pigsty and cart shed. Rent £7 per annum; 0.490 of an acre

    31. Occupied by G.Taylor; another third of the South Block. Rent £3/10/0 per annum; 0.238 of an acre.

    32. Occupied by William Williamson; another third of the South Block. The West Block comprising a stable, chaff house and open shed. The North Block comprising a barn and pigsties. Rent £6 per annum; 0.271 of an acre.

    33. Ocupied by F.C.Williamson. The North Block comprising a barn and three bay open cart shed; rent £4 per annum; 0.428 of an acre.

  •