3 Leighton Road Heath and Reach
3 Leighton Road June 2008
When Heath and Reach was inclosed in 1841 3 Leighton Road was a house and homestead occupying 1 rood 21 poles of land, presumably operated as a smallholding. The owner was Thomas Hopkins. The property was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest.
It is a 17th century building, the ground floor is built of whitewashed plaster over rubble stone whilst the first floor is weather boarded; the roof is thatched. On the right hand side of the building as it faces the road is a small 19th century shop front and door. Directories from 1854 to 1871 list Thomas Hopkins as a shopkeeper.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting this property [DV1/C254/27] noted that it was owned and occupied by Howard Victor Tompkins and used as a shop and bakehouse as well as a home. Directories show that Tompkins had been a baker since at least 1914 and would continue until at least 1931.
The building comprised a shop measuring 7 feet by 13 feet, a living room and a pantry with three bedrooms above. On the opposite side of the narrow yard stood a wood and corrugated iron scullery and a bakehouse measuring 12 feet by 14 feet with a 4 bushel oven and a flour loft over. Also outside was a wood and corrugated iron coal shed and fowl house and adjoining the house was a store shed. There was also two wood and corrugated iron trap sheds with lofts over and a loose box with loft over.