Hilltop Cottage Billington
Hilltop Cottage in December 2008
Hilltop Cottage was listed by the former Ministry of Works in 1952 as Grade II, of special interest. It is estimated that the cottage is 18th century and is built of brick (now plastered over) with one storey and attics under a thatched roof.
Until 1924 the building was a public house called the Cock. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Billington, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the cottage, called The Old Cock, found it was still owned by brewers Roberts and Wilson Limited of Ivinghoe [Buckinghamshire].
The occupier was still the last licensee, Edward James Couves. His rent as a licensee had been £8 per annum now it was £13. His accommodation comprised a kitchen, living room and scullery with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a weather-boarded and slated coal shed along with a brick, weather-boarded and thatched barn and a weather-boarded and thatched hen house. The occupier still carried on a trade from the property as the valuer noted: “Luncheons and Teas supplied”. Today the property is a private house.