Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Wyboston > The Old Post Office 40 High Street Wyboston

The Old Post Office 40 High Street Wyboston

The Old Post Office 40 High Street March 2010
The Old Post Office 40 High Street March 2010

Bedfordshire's Historic Environment Record [HER] lists every historic building and landscape feature in the county. A summary of each entry is now available on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 40 High Street [HER 1714] notes that it was formerly listed by the Department of Environment as Grade III, but when Grade III status was abolished the house was delisted. Before the duelling of the A1 in the late 20th century the property stood on the Great North Road.

It is a 17th century building, constructed of colourwashed brick and a tiled roof with brick a coped gable to the road. It comprises two storeys and attics, with a ground floor shop window. The reason for the shop window is that the premises used to be the village post office.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country should be assessed to determine their rateable value. Wyboston was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 40 High Street [DV1/C245/101] found it owned by N. Flawn and occupied by Mrs. Paxton (Kelly's Directory for Bedfordshire for 1928 lists Joseph Paxton as grocer and postmaster). Rent was £20 per annum, the valuer noting "Rent right".

The building comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and shop (measuring 21 feet 6 inches by 10 feet) on the ground floor with three bedrooms above and two attics above that. A washhouse with a loft over measuring 23 feet 6 inches by 16 feet and a shed stood outside.