No mill is mentioned in Domesday Book for Wootton. This is not particularly surprising as there is little in the way of significant running water in the parish and windmills were not introduced into England before the end of the 12th century.
Volume XIV published by Bedfordshire Historical Record Society in 1931 contains an article by J. Steele-Elliott on Bedfordshire windmills. For Wootton he notes an inquisition post mortem of 1324 of Walter de Teye alias de Taye. “The jurors say that the said Walter held jointly with Isabel de Steynegreve his wife, to them and the heirs of their bodies, with remainder to the right heirs of Isabel. At Wottone, a toft worth 6d., 40 acres of arable worth 10s., 4 acres pasture worth 2s., 10 acres of wood of which 2 acres can be sold, and the acre is worth 2s., in rents of assize 22d. and the ninth part of a windmill worth 12s.”
Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service has just two other references to a windmill in Wootton, both from the middle of the 17th century. The first of these was in 1650 when Edmund Wingate of Ampthill and his son, Button covenanted to levy a fine in order to convey lands to trustees. The lands were property of the manors of Studleys and Cannons and included a windmill [F520]. The second reference is in 1658 in a receipt given by Button Wingate and his wife Mary of Wootton to William Foster of Bedford for a cottage in the village and "divers other cottages, windmills and parcels of land" which were clearly significant since the sum involved was £800.