72 and 74 Bedford Road Wootton
72 Bedford Road March 2012
72 and 74 Bedford Road form an interesting counter-point with the modern flats behind them. They were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing states that they “probably” date from the late 18th century or early 19th century, though altered in the 20th century. Their structure is timber-framed and has been clad in pebbledash render. They have thatched roofs and comprise a single storey with attics. Number 72 has a single storey addition to the right hand side, which is pebbledashed and has a pantiled roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wootton was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C51/71-72] found them both in the ownership of E. Moore.
Moore himself lived in Number 74 and accommodation comprised a front room, a living room and a kitchen with two bedrooms above; a barn, woodhouse and earth closet stood outside. Next door was J. Keep whose rent was 1/6 per week (set in 1920) for a living room, a front room, a kitchen and one bedroom above, a barn and earth closet standing outside. Water came from a “good well”. The valuer commented: “Very fair cottages” and another hand has simply written: “old place”.
74 Bedford Road March 2012