6 and 8 Keeley Lane Wootton
6 and 8 Keeley Lane March 2012
6 and 8 Keeley Lane were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. Number 6 adjoins 4 Keeley Lane, which is also listed. The pair of houses dates from the 17th or early 18th centuries and comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof. The first floor is partly timber-framed, with plaster infill, the remainder of the houses is brick which has been rendered.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wootton was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 6 and 8 Keeley Lane [DV1/C51/8-10] found them in differing ownerships.
Number 6 was then divided into two tenements. The property was owned by R. J. Walker and the tenants were, in the eastern section, H. James and in the western section J. Ashpole. James paid 1/6 per week for a living room and kitchen with one bedroom above whilst Ashpole paid 3/6 per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms above. Both tenants had a barn and an earth closet outside. The rents were set in 1923. The valuer commented that the property was a: “Very poor place”. Water came from a well at Number 8.
Number 8 was owned and occupied by J. Parrott who had a living room and two bedrooms as well as an earth closet and the well outside. Again, this was described as a “poor place”. The Wootton Estate had been in dire financial straits for many years and this can be seen in the upkeep of its cottages.
At this date there were two more cottages on the end of this terrace, now demolished. Both were owned by S. Williamson. The cottage immediately next door to Number 8 was in the occupation of Mrs. Hutchins who paid three shillings per week for a living room, kitchen, one bedroom, barn and earth closet. Water came from a well and it was summed up as a “very poor cottage”. Next door was A. Bennett who paid 2/6 per week for identical accommodation. These rents had both been set in 1925. Number 6 had an extension to the lounge in 1992 [BorBTP/92/0471/LB].