18 and 20 Keeley Lane Wootton
18 and 20 Keeley Lane March 2012
18 and 20 Keeley Lane were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The pair date from the 18th century and are timber-framed; oddly this timber-framing has been rendered, colourwashed and mock timber-framing applied over the top. The dwellings comprise two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wootton was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 18 and 20 Keeley Lane [DV1/C51/3-4] found that they were both owned by F. Curtis. Who seems to have bought them in 1923 as that is when the rent was set.
Both properties had identical accommodation. Number 18 was occupied by Mrs. J. Billing and 20 by George Parrott. Both tenants paid rent of 13/4 per month for a living room and kitchen downstairs and one bedroom and one boxroom above. Each had a barn and an earth closet outside. The valuer commented: “Poor cottages but in fair repair”. Water came from a well.