The White Hart Beerhouse Woburn
32 George Street September 2006
The White Hart beerhouse is first mentioned in 1853 [QSR1853/1/5/31] when a guest staying the night was robbed by his room mate. In 1855 the beerhouse keeper, Joseph Foxley, had his coat, handkerchief and gloves stolen by one of his customers, William Martin of Woburn [QSR1855/2/5/5]. The 23 year old Martin was convicted and given six months hard labour at Bedford Gaol [QGV12/1].
An abstract of title of 1875 states that William Hipwell, the Olney brewer, owned the premises, noting that he had owned it in partnership with Charles and John Thomas Coling since 1853 (possibly when it first opened) and that the partnership with John Thomas Coling was dissolved in 1860 and that with Charles Coling in 1868. This house was described as being part of two former tenements which had at one time been divided into four, in London Road.
In the countywide licensing register of 1903 the White Hart was listed as "clean and in fairly good repair". The beerhouse was closed in 1917 and was purchased by the Duke of Bedford in 1920. In 1927 a rating survey was undertaken under the 1925 Valuation Act in which the modern 32 George Street was noted as formerly being the White Hart. It was also noted as being the property of the Duke of Bedford, as being vacant and in bad repair and no further analysis was carried out.
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1854-1855: Joseph Foxley;
1876: Thomas Birch;
1881-1883: George Archer;
1883-1892: John Woods;
1892-1912: Robert Coleman;
1912-1917: Hannah Coleman
Public House closed 1917
List of Sources:
- GA2034: abstract of title of William Hipwell: 1875