The Tavern Woburn
The Tavern used to stand where the one storey structure nearest the camera now stands - behind 19 Market Place
The Tavern: Back Lane, Woburn
This ancient tavern is first referred to in 1585 when it, together with other property in Woburn, was given by Mary Whyte to trustees Thomas Hull, Thomas Terle and Uriah George [X80/207]. In 1630 the tavern was sold by Thomas Baker of Woburn, maltster to John Gale of Woburn, yeoman [X80/211].
There is no reference to the tavern in the parochial dues register of 1709 to 1796 [P118/3/1], the parochial assessment book of 1803 to 1833 [P118/28/1] or the nineteenth century licensing records; this indicates that it had ceased to be a tavern or public house by 1709.
Amazingly there is a reference to the building in 1868 in the sale of the Wheatsheaf. A nearby premises was sold along with the Wheatsheaf and it is described as formerly being a cottage, which had formerly been the Tavern. The cottage had been pulled down in 1861 to build a warehouse. From this, and the accompanying map, it is clear that the Tavern had stood in Back Lane. This thoroughfare has now disappeared but used to run from the Market Place northward parallel to the High Street/Bedford Street. In modern terms it seems to have stood somewhere just behind 19 Market Place [R6/63/4/58].
The Wheatsheaf in 1868 also showing The Tavern [R6/63/4/58] to see a larger version please click on the image
List of Sources:
- X80/207: granted by Thomas and Mary Whyte to Thomas Hull, Thomas Terle and Uriah George: 1585;
- X80/211: sale by Thomas Baker to John Gale: 1630;
- R6/63/4/58: mention of a cottage, formerly The Tavern, having been pulled down in 1861 and a warehouse built on the site
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1585: Joan Balle