Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Woburn > The Swan Inn Woburn

The Swan Inn Woburn

On the green space were, receding from the camera, Swan, White Horse Windmill and Coach and Horses
On the green space were, receding from the camera, Swan, White Horse, Windmill and Coach and Horses

The Swan Inn (also White Swan): corner of Leighton Street and Duck Lane, Woburn

This inn which was copyhold, held of the Manor of Woburn, is known only from a few references such as those in the parochial dues register where it is first mentioned in 1712 and last mentioned in 1756 [P118/3/1].

In 1737 the Swan formed part of a marriage settlement between Eve Martin and Thomas Gale [R6/63/16/1].  It was described as "a corner house and fronting north into the Market Place there and West into Duck Lane". Clearly this puts it in the same area (now grass) as the White Horse and the Windmill. The same deed notes a chamber over a passage leading into the Swan yard (presumably from the Market Place) which formed part of the inn. It is described as adjoining the White Horse to the east. By the next admission to the premises in 1788 [R6/63/7/13] it is described as a cottage formerly known as the Swan Inn.

List of Sources:

  • P118/3/1: parochial dues: 1709-1796 [1712-1756];
  • R6/63/16/1: marriage settlement between Eve Martin and Thomas Gale including inn: 1737;
  • R6/63/7/5: admission: 1752;
  • R6/63/7/13: admission: 1788

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1712-1717: John Fells;
1722: Hills;
1723-1735: William Wych;
1736: Mrs.Wych;
1736-1741: James Butcher;
1742-1744: Widow Butcher;
1745-1756: David Riseley;
1756: Edward Manfield
Inn closed before 1788