Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Woburn > The Robin Hood and Little John Alehouse Woburn

The Robin Hood and Little John Alehouse Woburn

The Robin Hood and Little John Alehouse: Woburn

This establishment is known only three deeds. In 1733 widow Martha Snagge married Newport Pagnell [Buckinghamshire] victualler John Geary and the "common alehouse" in Woburn which she inhabited, called the Robin Hood and Little John, was included in the marriage settlement conveying it to mutually acceptable trustees [R6/63/3/6].

The following year Martha, now Martha Geary, appointed that after her death and that of her husband the Robin Hood and Little John should be devised to David Green of Bedford, bricklayer [R6/63/3/17 and R6/63/12/8].

Sources:

  • R6/63/3/6: marriage settlement: 1733;
  • R6/63/3/17 and R6/63/12/8: deed poll of appointment: 1734.

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1734: Fensham Costin.