The Ram Inn Woburn
In this space in Park Street were, receding from the camera, the Rose and Crown and the Ram - March 2007
The Ram Inn: Park Street, Woburn
This inn is known to have stood next to the Rose and Crown in Park Street as shown on a late eighteenth century map [R1/351]. Interestingly it adjoined the Rose and Crown.
A deed for the Rose and Crown of 1765 puts John Geary in occupation of its adjoining building. A John Geary had been listed as innholder of two public houses in the 1730s and 40s (the White Hart in the Market Place and Plough), so it may indicate that the Ram was a public house by this date, though it is be no means certain. In 1796 Thomas Iredale, late of Woburn, carpenter devised the Ram in Park Street in his own occupation (and where his father died) to his nephew John Iredale [R6/63/5/7]. Though noted as a public house in 1796 it had become a private house by 1802.
Map showing the White Lion, the Rose and Crown and the Ram [R1/351]
List of Sources:
- R6/63/5/7 and BO1040: will: 1796;
- R1/78: Thomas Evans' map accompanying R2/69: 1810;
- R2/69: Detailed survey of Woburn made by Thomas Evans for the Duke of Bedford: 1822
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1765: John Geary?
1796: Thomas Iredale
Inn closed by 1802