Bedford Estates Cottages in Crawley Road
1 and 3 Crawley Road March 2012
The Dukes of Bedford built numerous estate cottages in the various parishes in which they owned land from the mid 19th century into the 20th century. There were a number of different types but all are instantly recognisable as Bedford Estates properties. Fittingly the highest number was built in Woburn. 1 and 3 Crawley Road were built in 1911.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 1 and 3 Crawley Road (then numbered 1 and 2 Crawley Road) [DV1/C137/78-79] found that Number 1 was then occupied by Fred J. Horley whose rent was 2/6 per week for a living room, kitchen, washhouse and pantry and three bedrooms. A barn and W. C. stood outside. The valuer commented: “Out of Town”. Number 3 was in the occupation of Ellen Gilks who also paid 2/6 per week for identical premises.