47 Bedford Street Woburn
46 and 47 (on the left) Bedford Street May 2012
47 Bedford Street stands next to the grand building which was once the home to Woburn’s perpetual curates. It was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the late 18th century “possibly encasing an earlier structure”. It is built of colourwashed brick and render, a rear block being of red brick mottled with some vitrified bricks. The roofs are covered with 20th century tiles. The property is built in an L-shape and comprises two storeys and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 47 Bedford Street [DV1/C137/7] found it owned, like most of Woburn, by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company.
The tenant was Mrs. E. Smith whose rent was £2/10/- per quarter. Her accommodation comprised a reception room, a living room, and a kitchen with three bedrooms and two attics above. A washhouse, barn and W. C. stood outside. There was “No garden” because the property backed onto the graveyard. The valuer commented: “3 Dummy windows. Practically no Garden. Awkward shape place”.
Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has drawings of proposed alterations from the mid 1990s [PCWoburn18/2/12].