34 and 35 Bedford Street Woburn
34 and 35 Bedford Street May 2012
Today 34 and 35 form the hotel accommodation of the Bell Inn. The properties were listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The two houses were built in the early 19th century from red brick with slate roofs. They comprise three stories and have a double pile plan, that is, two parallel roofs running the width of the buildings.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 34 and 35 Bedford Street [DV1/C137/24-25] found that, like much of Woburn, they were owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company.
Number 34 was occupied by William Wood whose rent was “in wages” so he evidently worked for the duke. His accommodation comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and a parlour on the ground floor, four bedrooms (“no bath”) on the first floor and five bedrooms on the second floor. There was also a cellar. A “very good” washhouse and barn lay outside. The valuer remarked “Bay up and down”
Number 35 was in the occupation of F. and W. Mitchell and, once again, their rent was “in wages”. They had two living rooms, a kitchen, a scullery and a cellar with three bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor and four bedrooms on the second floor. A washhouse and barn (“very good”) stood outside.