22 George Street Woburn
22 George Street March 2012
22 George Street is a handsome property, no more so, perhaps, than many other in George Street, and yet it stands out because it looks south along London Road and faces the oncoming traveller from Hockliffe. It was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest.
The house is built of red brick and has a mottled appearance because some of the headers (bricks laid with the narrowest side facing outwards) are flared. The roof is half-hipped and composed of 20th century tiles. The property has two storeys and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 22 George Street (then numbered 9 George Street) [DV1/C126/31] found that, like most of the town, it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company.
The property was in the occupation of Francis George West who worked for the duke because his rent was “in wages”. His accommodation comprised two living rooms and a kitchen with a cellar under and three bedrooms on the first floor; two attics lay on the second floor. Outside stood a coal barn, washhouse and W. C. and outside were a wood and slated stable and coachhouse. The valuer commented: “End on road” and “Double fronted. Nail marks!! on wall” The property was gas lighted and connected to mains water.