11 Bedford Street Woburn
11 Bedford Street May 2012
11 Bedford Street is very different to the buildings around it and obviously much older. It was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. It was then dated to the 16th century, with 17th and 18th century additions. The house is timber-framed with red brick infill and was later re-fronted in brick. The ground floor seems to be the original building with the first floor built on later with a slight jetty, that is, it overhangs the ground floor. There is a projecting timber-framed block at the rear with a 16th century brick addition beyond. The roof is made up of clay tiles
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 11 Bedford Street found that it, like much of Woburn, was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company [DV1/C137/102].
The house was occupied by William Short who paid rent of five shillings per week. His accommodation comprised a reception room, a living room, a hall, a kitchen and a scullery downstairs with four bedrooms and three attics above. There was also a cellar. A W. C. stood outside. The valuer commented: “Old and inconvenient” and “Old property. Tenant claims to have largest family and largest rent in Woburn”! The valuer added: “Very poor back”.