10 Bedford Street Woburn
10 Bedford Street May 2012
10 Bedford Street forms part of the same building as Numbers 8 and 9 and was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century with and 18th century front. It is faced in red brick with a chequerwork pattern and has a clay tiled roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 10 Bedford Street [DV1/C137/103] found it owned, like most of Woburn, by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company.
The tenant was Miss M. Studds whose rent was 3/6 per week. Her accommodation comprised two reception rooms (one with a bay measuring 7 feet 6 inches by 2 feet 6 inches), a kitchen and a pantry downstairs with three bedrooms, a box room and two attics above. The property also had a cellar. A washhouse and W. C. (“big”) stood outside. The valuer commented: “Very, very old”; “poorish property” and “Attics bad (not used)”.