Wood End Cottages Westoning
Cottages at Wood End January 2010
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every property and piece of land in the country had to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like much of Bedfordshire, Westoning was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting Wood End Cottages [DV1/A17/13a] noted that they were owned by Frank Cooper, who occupied nearby Cottage Farm. The occupier of Wood End Cottages was S. Read.
The brick and tile premises comprised two reception rooms, two kitchens and four bedrooms above, the valuer noting that what was formerly two cottages was now in a single occupation. Outside stood a wood barn, an old bakehouse, used as a store, and an earth closet. Water was obtained from a well.