The Grange Westoning
The Grange from the south-west August 2009
The Grange was listed by the former Department of Environment in May 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the late 16th or early 17th century, though noting that it had been substantially reworked in the late 19th century. The original house was timber-framed with red brick infilling with later additions in red and yellow brick, colourwashed in parts. The legend IWCC on a jetted gable of the house implies that at some point the property was part of the Westoning Estate - John William Coventry Campion having been Lord of the Manor.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Westoning, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting The Grange found it owned and occupied by F. Falkner. The house stood in 3.554 acres.
Accommodation comprised a kitchen, living room, dining room, reception room and bathroom downstairs with four bedrooms above. A timber and corrugated iron stable and coachhouse stood outside as did a "Large pleasure garden". The valuer commented: "Very, very nice good hedge between it and page 36 [a next door bungalow]". Though he also noted: "Falkner says that: - This property is now spoilt by the new Bungalow page 36". The property had cesspool drainage and water was pumped into a tank in the roof. Despite the adjacent bungalow the valuer considered The Grange "Very lettable".
The Grange from the north-west August 2009