Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Upper Caldecote > The Sugar Loaf Beerhouse Upper Caldecote

The Sugar Loaf Beerhouse Upper Caldecote

 former Sugar Loaf Vinegar Hill July 2007
former Sugar Loaf beerhouse Jul 2007

The Sugar Loaf Beerhouse: 1 Vinegar Hill, Upper Caldecote

This beerhouse is first mentioned as such in any document held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service in 1872 when a licensing register notes that it had been leased by James Nottingham since the previous year. The beerhouse must have been opened at some time between 1859 when some "dilapidated" cottages were conveyed by Alfred White to Biggleswade carpenter William Field and 1871. Carpenters were often also builders and so it seems likely that Field built the present row of dwellings. The countywide licensing register of 1876, which is not always accurate, states that the Sugar Loaf was first licensed in 1861. The owner was stated to be Wells and Winch in that year, however, they were really just the leaseholder since in 1896 William Field conveyed the Sugar Loaf (now so-called) to Wells & Company [GK35/6]. In 1899 Wells & Company were purchased by Kent businessman George Winch for his son Edward Bluett Winch and changed their name to Wells & Winch.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Upper Caldecote was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the Sugar Loaf [DV1/C/43/44] found that the brick and slate property comprised: a kitchen; a tap room; a "very small bar"; a cellar; a living room; four bedrooms; a barn and earth closet. There was no garden but water was laid on. Trade consisted of 18 gallons of mild per week in summer, nine dozen in winter as well as half a dozen bottles of beer per week. Takings averaged £2 per week. the vauler concluded: "house in reasonable condition - bad position for trade". At some time between this date and 1940 the beerhouse closed as it is not listed in Kelly's Directory for Bedfordshire of that year along with other beerhouses in Caldecote.

References

  • Z1039/34/1: Schedule of deeds of Wells and Winch properties: 1817-1896;
  • GK35/1: conveyance of land in Brook End near turnpike road from Upper Caldecote to Girtford Bridge from trustees of will of William Pawlett to William Foxley for £18: 1817;
  • GK35/3: family settlement by William Foxley of land and three cottages built thereon: 1837;
  • GK35/4: mortgage by William and James Foxley to Thomas Yoxen: 1837;
  • GK35/5: conveyance from William and James Foxley to Alfred White of Ickwell, farmer for £68/16/8: 1844;
  • GK35/6: abstract of title of Alfred White to property at Brook End: 1858;
  • GK35/7: conveyance of "dilapidated" cottages by Alfred White to William Field of Biggleswade, carpenter for £50: 1859;
  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • GK35/8: conveyance of Sugar Loaf beerhouse from William Field of Biggleswade, builder to Wells & Company: 1896;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915.

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1871-1878: James Nottingham;
1878-1886: Joseph Nottingham;
1886-1894: James Marshall;
1894-1914: Samuel Matthews;
1927: G.W.Odell
Beerhouse closed before 1957