5 to 7 Caldecote Green Upper Caldecote
5 to 7 Caldecote Green from the gable end March 2010
5 to 7 Caldecote Green were listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the row of houses, which, they noted, formerly one property, to the 17th century; they were reworked in the 19th century. They have a timber framed construction with colour washed roughcast render and a clay tile roof.
In 1910 the entire country was assessed for rates tio help fund Liberal David Lloyd-George's pioneering 1909 budget and its introduction of elements of welfare. The survey was so thorough it was known as the 1910 Domesday Survey. The surveyor discovered that the property was owned by the trustees of Miss Harvey, probably Elizabeth Harvey, who built the almshouses in Biggleseade Road, and occupied by a man named Wilsher.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Upper Caldecote was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the building [DV1/C4/72-74] found each of the three cottages in owner occupation, the trustees having, evidently, decided to sell.
Number 5 was owned by Sydney Stokes whose accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above. An earth closet and two washhouses with a “felt bedroom” stood outside.
Number 6 was occupied by George William Small and accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A brick and tiled washhouse (“good and modern”) measuring 10 feet by 12 feet and an earth closet stood outside.
Number 7 was owned and occupied by William Woodward who had a living room and kitchen and two bedrooms (“1 very small lean-to”) above. A coal shed lay under the stairs and landing. The valuer commented “A few rough farm buildings” and also “Smallest of the 3”. Mains water was laid on to each house but overall the valuer commented: “Poor places”.
5 to 7 Caldecote Green March 2010