Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Totternhoe Estate Survey of 1840

Totternhoe Estate Survey of 1840

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater/Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1840 [BW1006] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps. To see a larger version of each map, please click on it.

The Totternhoe Pest House in 1840 [BW1006a]
The Totternhoe Pest House in 1840 [BW1006a]

The Corner of Green Lane [now in Dunstable]

  • 1: Pest House, yard, garden, barn and rick yard: 3 roods, 21 poles; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey;

Tenements south-east of Totternhoe church in 1840 [BW1006a]
Tenements south-east of Totternhoe church in 1840

Cottages South-East of the Church [now demolished]

  • 11. Tenements and garden; 31 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by Thomas Purton and James Kempston;

Church End in 1840 [BW1006]
Church End in 1840 [BW1006]

Church End

  • 13: Cottage and garden; 15 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Joseph Dudley;

Glebe House December 2008

  • 15a: Vicarage House; 2 roods, 31 poles; Rev. William Bruton Wroth; Rev. Thomas Lister Sunderland [now Glebe House];

Wishing Well Cottage February 2010

  • 20: Tenements, barn etc.; 23 poles; Rev. William Bruton Wroth; J. Purton; Charlotte Harbon [4 The Ride];
  • 23: Scite of the Old Vicarage House and garden; 2 roods, 30 poles; Rev. William Bruton Wroth; Rev. William Bruton Wroth;

Church Farm August 2009

  • 25: Farm house, yards, offices etc., 1 rood, 15 poles; the Countess of Bridgewater; George Fossey [Church Farm];

33 Church Road January 2010

  • 26: Tenements, yard, buildings and garden; 24 poles; owned by Geary Tompkins; occupied by Geary Tompkins and others [33 Church Road];
  • 28: Tenements, outbuildings and gardens; 36 poles; Joseph Osborn; Sarah Purton and another;

The former Old Bell Public House January 2010

Lockington Farmhouse August 2009

  • 31. House, offices, yards and garden; 2 roods, 15 poles; owned by the Trustees of the Lockington Charity, Dunstable; occupied by Benjamin Johnson [Lockington Farm];
  • 32. Five tenements and gardens; 20 poles; owned by Robert Scott; occupied by William Turvey and others;

31 Church Road - Pear Tree Cottage February 2010

  • 33. Tenement, buildings, garden etc.; 19 poles; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by Benjamin Purton and another [31 Church Road];
  • 33a. Tenements and gardens; 7 poles; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by T. Hutchins and others;

28 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 35. Tenements, yard and garden; 15 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by Reuben Hutchins and others [28 Wellhead Road];
  • 37. Tenements, outbuildings and garden; 19 poles; owned by David Lee Willis [Leighton Buzzard solicitor]; occupied by W. Fulks and another;

36 Wellhead Road August 2009

  • 38. Tenements, outbuildings and garden; 30 poles; owned by David Lee Willis; occupied by John Roe and another [36 Wellhead Road];
  • 40. Tenements and garden; 12 poles; owned by Totternhoe parish; occupied by William Turner and another;

35 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 41. Tenements and garden; 14 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by G. Wells and another [35 Wellhead Road];

3 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 42. Tenements and gardens; 14 poles; owned by Edward Snoxell; occupied by Edward Snoxell and another [3 Wellhead Road];
  • 43. Tenements, outbuildings and garden; 1 rood, 22 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by G. Snoxell and another;
  • 43a. Tenement, outbuildings and garden; 20 poles; owned by George Kempston; occupied by George Kempston;
  • 44. House, outbuilding and garden; 16 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Thomas Turvey;
  • 44b. Two tenements and gardens; 20 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Francis Peppiatt and another;
  • 45. Tenement, smith's shop and garden; 7 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by J. Janes and another;
  • 46. Meeting House; 3 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by the Methodist Trustees;

7 Church Road February 2010

  • 46a. Cottage and garden; 6 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Joseph Holland [7 Church Road];

Green Farm February 2010

  • 47. Tenements, building and garden; 37 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Thomas Turvey and another [Green Farm now occupies this site];
  • 49. House, buildings and yard; 12 poles; owned by John Turvey; occupied by James Morgan [Solomon Holland written against this entry in pencil];
  • 49a. Tenement, outbuilding and garden; 7 poles; owner John Turvey; occupier Jeremiah Purton [W. Fowler written against this entry in pencil];

The Old Farm Inn August 2009

  • 50. Farm house, outbuildings, yards and garden; 2 roods, 20 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidell [Old Farm Public House was part of this site];

The Briars February 2010

  • 53. King's Arms Public House, outbuildings, yard and gardens; 29 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Thomas Battams [The Briars now on this site];

34 Church Green January 2010

  • 54. Farm house, buildings, yard and garden; 1 acre, 22 poles; owned by John Olney; occupied by John Olney [Orchard House occupies some of this site];
  • 56. Farm house, outbuildings, yard and garden; 32 poles; owned by William Pratt; occupied by William Pratt and another;

18 to 22 Church Green February 2010

  • 60. Cottage and garden; 6 poles; owned by John Olney; occupied by William Kingston [18 to 22 Church Green now stand on this site];
  • 64. Three tenements, buildings and garden; 21 poles; owned by Christopher Buckmaster; occupied by Jeffrey Neale and others [in pencil is written "Solomon Holland, John Turvey"];
  • 65. Tenement, building and garden; 2 poles; owned by John Fulks; occupied by John Fulks;
  • 66. Tenements, buildings and gardens; 15 poles; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by R. Holland and others;

Lancotbury January 2010

  • 67. Farm house, offices and garden; 2 roods; 15 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidell [Lancotbury; on pencil is written "now Earl Brownlow, W. Pratt"] [Lancotbury];

Buildings between Church End and Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]
Buildings between Church End and Middle End in 1840

Houses between Church End and Middle End

  • 76. Tenements and gardens; 18 poles; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by Mark Abraham and others;
  • 83. Cottages, buildings and garden; 24 poles; owned by John Varney; occupied by John Varney;

The eastern part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]
The eastern part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

The Eastern Part of Middle End

146 Castle Hill Road - Middle End Cottage February 2010

  • 90. Tenement, yard and garden; 10 poles; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by John Hunt [in pencil is written "Earl Brownlow"] [146 Castle Hill Road];

148 Castle Hill Road - Tudor Cottage February 2010

  • 91. Two houses, outbuildings, yard and garden; 21 poles; owned by Samuel Pratt; occupied by James Andrew junior and another [148 Castle Hill Road];
  • 98. Farm House, Outbuildings, Yard etc.; 15 poles; owned by George Fossey; occupied by John Holt;
  • 105. Tenement, yard, garden. etc.; 17 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Robert Horton;

Poplar Farm February 2010

  • 108. Farm house, outbuildings, yard, garden etc.; 1 rood, 12 poles; owned by John Pinniger; occupied by Horton Battams [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, Battams, H.] [Poplar Farm];

The western part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]
The western part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

The Western Part of Middle End

188 Castle Hill Road December 2008

  • 102. Farm house, outbuildings and garden; 1 rood; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt [188 Castle Hill Road];
  • 103. Barn, shed and rick yard; 30 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt;
  • 104. Farm yard, outbuildings, garden etc.; 28 poles; owned by Hannah and Maria Pratt; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt;
  • 113. Barn and garden; 9 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt;
  • 114a. Smith's shop; 2 poles; owned by Charles Meacher; occupied by Samuel Brown;
  • 117. Farm house, outbuildings, yard and garden; 1 rood, 31 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Robert Horton;

The Cross Keys August 2009

The eastern part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006]
The eastern part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006]

The Eastern Part of Lower End

  • 123. Tenement and garden; 7 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by John Darby [marginal note "Earl Brownlow"];
  • 124. Barn, shed and yard; 6 poles; owned by William Twidell; occupied by Richard Banes;
  • 125. Tenement and garden; 6 poles; owned by William Twidell; occupied by William King;
  • 126. Tenement and garden; 6 poles; owned by Charles Meacher; occupied by John Jeffs;

213 Castle Hill Road in August 2009

  • 128. Tenement, outbuildings and yard; 17 poles; owned by William Pratt; occupied by James Andrew [213 Castle Hill Road];
  • 128a. Part of the rick yard; 6 poles; owned by Arthur Macnamara; occupied by James Andrew [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, W. Pratt"];
  • 141b. Bakehouse and premises; 11 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by James Seabrook;

The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel February 2010

  • 141c. Methodist Chapel; 4 poles; owned and occupied by the Trustees of the Methodist Society;
  • 141d. Four cottages and gardens; 21 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by Abel Mead and others;

221-223 Castle Hill Road February 2010

  • 141e. Three cottages and gardens; 25 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by Thomas Holt and others [221 and 223 Castle Hill Road];

231 Castle Hill Road - The White House February 2010

  • 142. Tenement, yard, garden etc.; 13 poles; owned by Charles Meacher; occupied by Abraham Day and another [231 Castle Hill Road];

Lane Farm in 1840 [BW1006a]
Lane Farm in 1840 [BW1006a]

Lane Farm

Lane Farm January 2010

  • 131. Farm house, outbuildings, yard and lane; 2 roods, 17 poles; owned by Arthur Macnamara; occupied by Daniel Twidell junior [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, J. Gurney"] [Lane Farm];
  • 141a. Two cottages and gardens; 8 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by Thomas Foster and another.

The western part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006
The western part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006]

The Western Part of Lower End

Manor Farm February 2010

  • 146. Farm house, yard, offices, garden; 1 rood, 27 poles; owned by Sarah Basterfield; occupied by William Pratt [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, W. Pratt"] [Manor Farm];
  • 148. Tenement, outbuilding and garden; 16 poles; owned by William Holland; occupied by William Holland;

299 and 301 Castle Hill Road January 2010

  • 153. Farm house, outbuildings etc.; 1 acre, 1 rood, 10 poles; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey [part of site now occupied by 299 and 301 Castle Hill Road];

281 and 283 Castle Hill Road August 2009

  • 155. Tenements and garden; 18 poles; owned by Sarah Basterfield; occupied by T. Bliss and another [281 to 283 Castle Hill Road];
  • 156. House, barns etc.; 18 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Robert Horton;

210 to 216 Castle Hill Road February 2010

  • 157. House, barn, garden and yard; 1 rood; owned by Elizabeth Pratt; occupied by Thomas Pratt [210 to 216 Castle Hill Road];
  • 158. House, yard, barn and garden; 26 poles; owned by Thomas Leach; occupied by Thomas Leach;
  • 159. Tenements, outbuildings and gardens; 16 poles; owned by Thomas Procter; occupied by Samuel Purton and others;

228 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe February 2010

  • 162. House, outbuildings, yard and garden; 25 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by Daniel Twidell [228 Castle Hill Road];
  • 163. House, outbuildings, yard and garden; 9 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by J. Leach and another;
  • 163b. Three cottages; 9 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by John Pratt and others;

2 Knolls View January 2010

  • 165. Cottage, barn and garden; 16 poles; owned by Ann Fossey; occupied by Thomas Simmonds [2 Knolls View];
  • 169. Tenements and garden; 16 poles; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by T. Bliss and others;

The northern part of Knolls View in 1840 [BW1006a]
The northern part of Knolls View in 1840 [BW1006a]

The Northern Part of Knolls View

The former Dukes Head January 2010

  • 170. Duke's Head Public House, offices, etc.; 23 poles; owned by Edward Burr [of Luton, brewer]; occupied by Thomas Horton;

Mapsedge January 2010

  • 172. House, outbuildings, yard and garden; 1 rood, 8 poles; owned by Ann Fossey; occupied by Thomas Snoxell [Mapsedge now stands on part of this site].

Well Head in 1840 [BW1006a]
Well Head in 1840 [BW1006a]

Well Head [now in Eaton Bray]

  • 3: Tenement on the Waste; 2 poles; owned by Maximilian Shevrall; occupied by Samuel Holt;
  • 4: Cottage and garden; 16 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by James Hutchins;
  • 5 and 6: two tenements and garden; 16 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by T. Room and H. Norman;

Doolittle Mill in 1840 [BW1006a]
Doolittle Mill in 1840 [BW1006a]

Doolittle Mill [now in Eaton Bray]

  • 7. Mill, meadow and stream; 1 acre, 1 rood, 10 poles; owned by Christopher Buckmaster; occupied by Christopher Buckmaster;
  • 8. House, mill and garden; 10 poles; owned by Christopher Buckmaster; occupied by Christopher Buckmaster;
  • 9. Barn and yard in front; 10 poles; owned by Christopher Buckmaster; occupied by Christopher Buckmaster.