Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Totternhoe Estate Survey of 1829

Totternhoe Estate Survey of 1829

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater, later Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1829 [BW1004] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it, whether or not the property was owned by the Estate. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps; to see a larger version of each image, please click on it.

The pest house in 1829 [BW1004]
The pest house in 1829 [BW1004]

The Corner of Green Lane [now in Dunstable]

  • 1: Pest House and garden; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey; 2 roods, 24 poles.

Cottages south-east of the church in 1829 [BW1004]
Cottages south-east of the church in 1829 [BW1004]

Cottages South-East of the Church [now demolished]

  • 11. Two cottages and garden; owned by Mr. Twidel; occupied by R. Brooks and Benjamin Bligh; 31 poles.

Church End in 1829 [BW1004]
Church End in 1829 [BW1004]

Church End

  • 13: Cottage and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Henry Purton; 15 poles;

Wishing Well Cottage February 2010

  • 20: Two cottages, barn and garden; owned by Rev. Wroth; occupied by James Purton, William East and Rev. Wroth; 2 roods, 13 poles [4 The Ride];
  • 23: Old Vicarage House and garden; owned by the church as glebe; occupied by Samuel Heles; 1 rood, 21 poles [at the junction of The Ride and Church Road - now demolished];

Church Farm August 2009

  • 25: Farm yard, building, house, garden and orchard; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey; 1 acre, 2 roods, 1 pole [Church Farm];

33 Church Road January 2010

  • 26: Baker's shop, two cottages, yard, buildings and garden; owned by John Purton; occupied by Jeffrey Blinklow, Mark Bligh and Thomas Kimpson; 24 poles [33 Church Road];
  • 28: Two dwelling houses, sheds, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Osborn; occupied by John Purton and Mary Scott; 36 poles;

The former Old Bell Public House January 2010

  • 29: Old Bell Public House, yard, buildings and orchard; owned by Mr. Burr [the Luton brewer]; occupied by Samuel Heles; 25 poles [29 Church Road];
  • 31: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Dunstable Charity; occupied by John Purton; 2 roods, 15 poles [now Lockington Farm];
  • 32: Two cottages, garden etc.; owned by Thomas Wallduck; occupied by Thomas Wallduck and Thomas Smith; 20 poles;

31 Church Road - Pear Tree Cottage February 2010

  • 33: Dwelling house, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by Benjamin Purton; 26 poles [31 Church Road];

28 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 35: Two cottages, yard and garden; owned by Daniel Twidel; occupied by James Seabrook and William Kempson; 15 poles [28 Wellhead Road];
  • 37: Two cottages, yard, barn, wood barn and garden; owned by Mr. Willis; occupied by William Fulks and William King; 19 poles;

36 Wellhead Road August 2009

  • 38: Two cottages, wood barn and garden; owned by Mr. Willis; occupied by William Cook and George Gates; 30 poles [36 Wellhead Road];
  • 40: Two cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by William Turner and Susan Healey; 12 poles;

35 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 41: Two cottages and garden; owned by Daniel Twidel; occupied by J. King and Stephen Hutchen; 14 poles [35 Wellhead Road];

3 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 42: Two cottages and garden; owned by Henry Snoxell; occupied by J. Snoxell and Mary Snoxell; 14 poles [3 Wellhead Road];
  • 43: Cottage, wood barn and garden; owned by James Pratt; occupied by William Pratt; 1 rood 22 poles;
  • 43a: Cottage, wood barn and garden; owned by George Kempson; occupied by George Kempson; 20 poles;
  • 45: Cottage, blacksmith's shop and garden; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by James Janes and William Seabrook; 7 poles;

7 Church Road February 2010

  • 46: Meeting House Cottage and garden; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Geary Tompkins; 9 poles [7 Church Road];

Green Farm February 2010

  • 47 and 48: Two cottages, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by William Inwood, John Puddephat and Thomas Turvey; 2 roods [Green Farm now occupies the site];
  • 49: Dwelling house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by John Turvey; occupied by James Morgan; 1 rood, 8 poles;
  • 49a: Cottage, wood barn and garden; owned by John Turvey; occupied by Jeremiah Purton; 7 poles;
  • 50: Farm house, yard, buildings, rick yard and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidel; 2 roods, 20 poles [the Old Farm Public House now stands on part of the site];

The Briars February 2010

34 Church Green January 2010

  • 54: Farm house, yard, buildings, rick yard, garden, etc.; owned by Mr. Stonnel; occupied by Mr. Stonnel; 1 acre, 22 poles [Orchard House occupies part of the site];
  • 56: Farm house, yard, buildings, orchard and garden; owned by Robert Pratt senior; occupied by Robert Pratt senior; 1 rood, 19 poles;
  • 60: Cottage and garden; owned by Mr. Stonnel; occupied by William Kingstone; 6 poles;
  • 61: Cottage and garden; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by Richard Dudley; 10 poles;
  • 64: Cottage, barn, stable, yard and garden; owned by G. Buckmaster; occupied by Daniel Holt; 21 poles;
  • 65: Cottage, wood house and garden; owned by John Fulks; occupied by John Fulks; 2 poles;
  • 66: Four cottages, wood house, yard and garden; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by J. Kemp, W. Jeffs, W. Harrowel and Benjamin Bliss; 15 poles;

Lancotbury January 2010

  • 67: Farm house, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidel; 2 roods, 15 poles [now Lancotbury].

Houses between Middle End and Church End in 1829 [BW1004]
Houses between Middle End and Church End in 1829 [BW1004]

Houses between Church End and Middle End

  • 76: Three cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by Mark Abram, William Fowler and Elizabeth Foster; 18 poles;
  • 83: Cottage, yard and barn; owned by John Varney; occupied by John Reeves; 24 poles.

Middle End in 1829 [BW1004]
Middle End in 1829 [BW1004]

Middle End

146 Castle Hill Road - Middle End Cottage February 2010

  • 90: Cottage, yard, garden and orchard: owned by the Countess of Bridgewater [146 Castle Hill Road]; 

148 Castle Hill Road - Tudor Cottage February 2010

  • 91: Dwelling house, barns, yard, garden and orchard; owned by Samuel Pratt; occupied by Samuel Pratt; 1 rood, 16 poles [148 Castle Hill Road];
  • 98: Farm house, yard, buildings and orchard; owned by Mr. Fossey; occupied by William Holt; 1 acre, 1 rood, 19 poles;

188 Castle Hill Road December 2008

  • 102: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Richard Pratt; 1 acre, 32 poles [now 188 Castle Hill Road];
  • 103: Barn, shed and rick yard; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Richard Pratt; 30 poles;
  • 104: Farm yard, barn, buildings, cottage, garden and orchard: owned by Mrs. Pratt; occupied by Richard Pratt; 1 rood, 12 poles;
  • 105: Two cottages, carpenter's shop, yard and garden; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by James Purton and George Wells; 17 poles;

Poplar Farm February 2010

  • 108: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and rick yard; owned by Mr. Pinnaces; occupied by Horton Battams; 1 rood, 12 poles [Poplar Farm];
  • 113: Garden and barn; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Richard Pratt; 9 poles;
  • 117: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Thomas Horton; 1 rood, 11 poles;

The Cross Keys August 2009

  • 121: Cross Keys Public House, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by John Clements; 1 rood, 1 pole;
  • 123: Cottage and garden; owned by John Battams; occupied by John Darby; 7 poles;
  • 124: Yard, barn and shed; owned by William Twidel; occupied by Richard Banes; 6 poles;
  • 125: Cottage and garden; owned by William Twidel; occupied by William King; 6 poles;
  • 126: Two cottages and garden; owned by Samuel Brown; occupied by William Holt and G. Cook; 6 poles;

213 Castle Hill Road in August 2009

  • 128: Cottage, barn, garden etc.; owned by William Pratt of Edlesborough [Buckinghamshire]; occupied by James Andrews; 23 poles [213 Castle Hill Road];

Lane Farm January 2010

  • 131: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden, rick yard, orchard and lane; owned by John Pedley; occupied by James Pratt; 1 acre, 2 roods, 38 poles [Lane Farm]

231 Castle Hill Road - The White House February 2010

  • 142: Cottage, yard, barn and orchard; owned by Samuel Brown; occupied by Abraham Day and Samuel Brown; 3 roods, 36 poles [231 Castle Hill Road].

 Lower End in 1829 [BW1004]
Lower End in 1829 [BW1004]

Lower End

  • 145: Rick yard; owned by Mr. Basterfield; occupied by William Pratt: 1 rood, 15 poles;

Manor Farm February 2010

  • 146: Farm house, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Mr. Basterfield; occupied by William Pratt; 1 rood, 27 poles [Manor Farm];
  • 148: Cottage, cow house and orchard; owned by William Holland; occupied by William Holland; 2 roods;

299 and 301 Castle Hill Road January 2010

  • 153: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden, rick yard, orchard and moats; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey; 3 acres, 2 roods, 10 poles [part of the site now occupied by 299 and 301 Castle Hill Road];

281 and 283 Castle Hill Road August 2009

  • 155: Two cottages and garden; owned by Mr. Basterfield; occupied by James Green and W. East; 18 poles [281 and 283 Castle Hill Road];
  • 156: Green's Close, house, barn, yard etc.; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by J. Horton and Edward Arnold; 2 acres, 27 poles;

210 Castle Hill Road February 2010

  • 157: House, barn, orchard and yard; owned by John Pratt; occupied by John Pratt; 2 roods, 10 poles [210 to 216 Castle Hill Road];
  • 158: House, yard, barn and garden; owned by James Leach; occupied by John Leach; 26 poles;
  • 159: Four cottages with garden, woodhouses etc.; owned by Mr. Procter; occupied by W. Andrews, John Lines; W. Lines and Robert Abram; 16 poles;

228 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe February 2010

  • 162: House, yard, barns, garden and orchard; owned by Lord Bute; occupied by Joseph Jeffs; 1 rood, 21 poles [228 Castle Hill Road];
  • 163: House, yard, barn, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Gilman; occupied by Michael East; 1 rood, 7 poles;

2 Knolls View January 2010

  • 165: Cottage, yard, barn and garden; owned by Miss Fossey; occupied by John Brittan; 16 poles [2 Knolls View];
  • 169: Two cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by J. Bliss and J. Darby; 16 poles.

The northern part of Knolls View in 1829 [BW1004]
The northern part of Knolls View in 1829 [BW1004]

The Northern Part of Knolls View

The former Dukes Head January 2010

  • 170: Duke's Head Public House, barn, yard, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Burr [Luton brewer]; occupied by Thomas Pratt; 2 roods, 26 poles [26 Knolls View];

Mapsedge January 2010

  • 172: House, yard, buildings, garden and orchard: owned by Miss Fossey; occupied by Thomas Snoxell; 1 acre, 1 pole [Mapsedge now on the site].

 Cottages at Honeywick in 1829 [BW1004]
Cottages at Honeywick in 1829 [BW1004]

Cottages at Honeywick

  • 175: Three cottages, barn, stable, garden etc.; owned by John Varney; occupied by Daniel Philpot, Thomas Turney, J. Proctor and John Varney; 30 poles.

Well Head in 1829 [BW1004]
Well Head in 1829 [BW1004]

Well Head [now in Eaton Bray]

  • 3: Cottage and garden; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by ThomasRoom; 16 poles;
  • 4: Two Cottages and garden; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Thomas Landon and Stewart Osborn; 16 poles.

Doolittle Mill in 1829 [BW1004]
Doolittle Mill in 1829 [BW1004]

Doolittle Mill [now in Eaton Bray]

  • 7: House, mill and garden; owned by C. Buckmaster; occupied by C. Buckmaster; 10 poles.