Walnut Tree Close Stevington
Walnut Tree Close December 2009
Walnut Tree Close was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the 18th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble. The cottage was one storey with attics and partly heightened in the 19th century. A rear extension was originally one storey and was heightened to two by a new brick storey in the 19th century. There is a single storey 20th century flat roofed extension in stone.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting Walnut Tree Close [DV1/C120/103] noted that it was owned and occupied by Mrs. R. Cox. At that time the house was built of stone and brick, thatch and tile.
It comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A washhouse, earth closet and two barns stood outside. The valuer noted that there was no well in the yard. The valuer commented that it was a "Poor old Place" and in a "Dreadful Condition".