Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stevington > Pear Tree Cottage 27 Church Road Stevington

Pear Tree Cottage 27 Church Road Stevington

27 Church Road 1960 [Z53/112/6]
27 Church Road 1960 [Z53/112/6]

Peartree Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the late 17th or early 18th century. Like many older buildings in the area it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble. The house has two storeys and a thatched roof with bargeboards and finials.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 27 Church Road  [DV1/C120/145] noted that it was owned and occupied by A. J. Mackness. It comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. A barn and closet stood outside and there was a well in the yard. It was "not very good" but was "being done up". It stood in a quarter of an acre.

In 1988 planning permission was granted to convert a barn into a dwelling and to renovate an outbuilding at the rear [BorBTP/88/2313].

Pear Tree Cottage December 2008
Pear Tree Cottage December 2008