Meeting Farm Stevington
Meeting Farmhouse December 2009
Meeting Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the 17th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble and has an old clay tile roof over two storeys. A modern brick extension has been fitted to the right-hand side
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting Meeting Farm [DV1/H8/10] noted that it was owned by Ssmuel Prentice (who also owned Manor Farm) and tenanted by his son. The valuer commented: "Father occupies the land, son lives in House and helps manage". The farm comprised 128 acres.
The farmhouse comprised two reception rooms, a pantry, washhouse and dairy with three bedrooms upstairs. A privy stood outside. The valuer considered the house to be "poor". He also noted: "Soft water, fetch drinking and hard [water] from The Cock".
The homestead comprised the following: a wood and corrugated iron pigsty for seven; a wood and thatch two bay hovel; a wood and tile trap house; a wood and tile two bay implement shed; a wood and tile he house; a wood and tile loose box; a wood and tile two horse stable; a wood and tile pump house; a wood and tile two bay cart hovel; a wood and tile wood store; a wood and tile gear house; a wood and tile four horse stable; a wood and tile barn; two sets of stone, wood and tile double calf boxes; a stone and corrugated iron implement barn; a wood and tile loose box and a stone and thatch chaff, mixing and hay barn. A wood and corrugated iron barn stood in a nearby barn.
Meeting Farm December 2009