8 Church Road Stevington
8 Church Road December 2008
8 Church Roadwas listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the main cottage to the 18th century. Like many older buildings in the area it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though it was heightened by brick in the 19th century and colourwashed. It has two storeys and a slate roof. Of the building to the east the Department noted: "The [north] eastern cottage appears to have been an outbuilding converted for residential use. It is of coursed limestone rubble with a pantile roof. One storey, with two modern casements to the front elevation".
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 8 Church Road [DV1/C144/10] noted that it was owned by J. Hulett and occupied by W. Bowyer who paid £1/6/- per annum rent, which had been set about six years before.
The white cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet stood outside. Water had to be brought from across the road. The building to the north-east, also owned by Corby, was still a "large store" built from stone and corrugated iron. There were also three large pigsties.