64 Park Road Stevington
64 Park Road 1961 [Z53/112/8]
64 Park Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The house has the date 1659 on a first floor plaque. Like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though with a roughcast render over it. It has two storeys under a thatched roof and a modern porch extension to the rear. At the time of writing [December 2009] the building is in quite a sad state.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 64 Park Road [DV1/C120/25] noted that it was owned by J. Cullip and occupied by F. Aspley and stood in just under an acre, the rent being £5/1/3 per annum.
The cottage comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. A barn "with adverts on side" and earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented that the thatch was "newish".
Planning permission was granted in 1962 for a new bathroom and W. C. [RDBP6/62/170A].
64 Park Road December 2008