Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stevington > 51 and 53 Silver Street Stevington

51 and 53 Silver Street Stevington

51 and 53 Silver Street 1960 [Z53/112/14]
51 and 53 Silver Street 1960 [Z53/112/14]

51 and 53 Silver Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated them to the 18th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, they are constructed of coursed limestone rubble. The property comprises two storeys with a modern concrete pantile roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 51 and 53 Silver Street [DV1/C120/69-70] noted that both were owned by H. Harpin, who lived at 53 himself. The next door property was rented by G. Warwick at £2 per quarter. Both properties were then thatched, though Warwick's roof was covered by corrugated iron.

Number 51 had a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. Number 53 had a living room, kitchen and lean-to scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Both cottages had a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer noted of 51 that it was "2 Houses converted into one" and was "Awful one end, Fair the Other". Number 53 had "2 Very Old Barns used for 3 Pigs and Stores of little Value".

51 and 53 Silver Street December 2009
51 and 53 Silver Street December 2009