Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stevington > 25 and 27 Silver Street Stevington

25 and 27 Silver Street Stevington

25 and 27 Silver Street December 2009
25 and 27 Silver Street December 2009

25 and 27 Silver Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the 18th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though with colourwashed roughcast render over the top. The cottages stand gable end on to the road and have one storey with attics. They have a steeply pitched slate roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 25 and 27 Silver Street [DV1/C120/56-57] noted that they were owned by H. Harpin. 25 was inhabited by R. Curtis, who paid £5/12/- per annum and 27 was tenanted by A. J. Hobbs who paid £6 per annum.

Number 25, which faced onto the road, comprised a living room downstairs and two bedrooms above whilst 27, which was the rearmost of the semi-detached pair, boasted a kitchen in addition to these rooms. Both properties had a barn outside and they shared an earth closet and a well in the yard. The valuer considered that they were both equally "dreadful".