12 Silver Street Stevington
12 Silver Street 1960 [Z53/112/10]
12 Silver Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the late 17th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though with a colourwashed plaster over the top. It has a single storey with attics under a thatched roof. A plaster and pantiled single storey building to the left hand side once, presumably, a store is now used as part of the living accommodation.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 12 Silver Street [DV1/C120/89] noted that it was owned by A. Wagstaff and occupied by L. Mackness who paid £5 per annum in rent.
The property comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. The valuer noted "Roof falling down" and commented: "Dreadful".
12 Silver Street December 2009